[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]
You might wonder what the difference between normal carpentry and marine carpentry is. After all, carpentry involves cutting and shaping wood, doesn’t it? So what’s specifically different about marine carpentry? At Foster’s Yacht Services, we believe that people underestimate the challenge involved in marine carpentry. We’ve seen several people hire traditional carpenters to handle a marine carpentry job, only to be faced with disappointing results. That’s because the latter is exposed to a very different environment.
As you’re aware, the boat is exposed to sea conditions. A marine carpenter would need to build the interior/exterior fixture of a boat, that would be able to withstand salt water, high humidity, sunlight, and harsh winds. These are not exactly ideal conditions for traditional carpentry installations. In fact, normal wood products would deteriorate very quickly in such conditions. That’s why it’s absolutely essential that you hire a professional in marine carpentry for the job.
Just because it’s called marine carpentry doesn’t mean that the project would just involve wood. Wood is very vulnerable to marine conditions so other materials are often used as replacements. These modern materials are able to withstand the conditions better and are much more resilient. Marine carpenters will work with wood, fiberglass, plastic, and other such materials. Traditional carpenters don’t usually have skills with these materials and would be unable to complete a full boat interior job without assistance from a marine carpenter.
What Would a Marine Carpenter Do?
Some professionals are skilled enough to actually build an entire boat from scratch. It is possible for a marine carpenter to use a combination of wood, plastic, and fiberglass to fashion a new boat of good quality and performance. However, such projects are rarely awarded to these professionals. Getting a boat built by hand would be an expensive affair. However, there are several other things that a skilled expert in this field can do. They are listed here:
- Decking – Marine carpenters can add new/replace old decks on your boat. The decks are usually made from wood like teak that can stand up to the environment and look great as well. The carpenters will use the latest tools and techniques to ensure that the deck is resilient and sturdy.
- Boat Flooring – The boat flooring is often made of wood as well. Wood adds a very warm tone to the interiors, which makes it appealing to the boat owners. Wood also looks very luxurious; and yachts and luxury often go hand in hand. These floors usually come in different designs, colors, and finishes. You can easily find something that would fit in with the overall design of your boat.
- Cabinetry – Most people require some form of storage on their boat. You need to store drinks and food items, clothes, and other such necessities. These cabinets are usually custom made from scratch so that they can fit in perfectly in the interior of the boat. They come in different finishes, colors, and designs as well. Cabinetry for yachts need to be specially designed so that the movement of the boat doesn’t cause contents inside to spill or become damaged.
- Repairs – Marine carpentry services also include repairs of all kinds. Whether you need to get a floor replaced or want to repair the decking. A marine carpenter would be able to repair and restore your boat so that it looks as good as new.
- Countertops – Installation of stone countertops and solid surfaces is also handled by a marine carpenter. This needs to be done carefully as the boat does move. If the stone is simply placed on the counter, it can shift and fall, damaging your boat. Carpenters know how to securely install granite or marble countertops.
There are several other things a marine carpenter can handle, including repairing holes in the hull, etc. You just need to find a skilled one.
If you have any questions and suggestions, or want to hire our marine carpentry services, just give us at Foster’s Yacht Services a call at 954 524 9098. You can get in touch with us by filling in this Contact Us form. You can also email us at[email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you.